Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Poppy's Top Ten List of Favorite Modern Dance Songs & a Rambling Tale about the Romantics

It's a different world for you Moderns! But I'm so enjoying learning about it. In particular, I like your music. Of course, on dull days, I take a good gallop in Hyde Park to revive my flagging spirits. Or I cram a lovely forkful of Beatrice's apple crisp into my mouth (when no one's looking) and wash it down with a cup of scalding tea. You Moderns, on the other hand, often turn to the small rectangle called the iPod for a boost. And no wonder! It's a marvel!

Here are some of my favorite Modern dance tunes culled from author Kieran Kramer's iPod. She assures me that when she was writing about me and my friends and family, these are the very tunes she listened to. She also informed me (while she danced/gyrated all alone--and quite clumsily--in front of several long mirrors she installed in her loft to make it look like a "disco") that she wouldn't mind a bit my sharing them with you:

1) Short Skirt/Long Jacket by Cake
2) Gold Digger (Glee cast version)
3) Bust a Move (Glee cast version)
4) Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson
5) Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry
6) What I Like About You by the Romantics*
7) Into the Groove by Madonna
8) Holiday by Madonna
9) New Shoes by Paolo Nutini
10) Wrapped Up in You by Garth Brooks

*She did say to tell you that long ago she and her little sister Devon danced like bohemians in front of the Romantics and thusly, the band invited them backstage to their Green Room, where Kieran and Devon obligingly went and noshed on various appetizers. But when one of the Romantics nuzzled Devon's ear and asked if she and her sister would return with the gentlemen to their hotel rooms, Devon responded, "No, you pig!" and slapped the lout's arm. Kieran explained further, "We're teachers."

Any teacher will know exactly what Kieran was talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment